substitute for limb for tree swing

Old 11-08-09, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
substitute for limb for tree swing

I want to make a swing for my grandsons. Although my place is littered with oaks, none has a limb that will work for this.

There is a man coming here with a bucket truck to trim some dead limbs, and I thought, "I could have him drill holes" -

What I had in mind was to drill a hole in one of the oaks and stick in a biggest size piece of rebar, or just a length of pipe and proceed as though it were a tree limb. Would this work? There is one spot where there are two trees 7 feet apart, I could wedge it in there if I could figure out how.

Alternatively, it could be wood; I thought pipe might be more sturdy, and being round, the rope would go around it more smoothly.

I really was not sure which forum to post this in, I hope I have chosen well.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-09, 02:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Drill a hole in a live tree? Kiss it goodbye before you do it. It would be tantamount to drilling a hole through your body. Same results. They are alive.

Old 11-08-09, 04:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Get 2 pieces of 2" galvanized pipe 10 feet long threaded on one end. Get a 4 foot piece of2" galvanized pipe threaded on both ends. Get two galvanized elbows. Assemble into a square "U".

Dig two three foot deep holes in the ground about a foot in diameter. Pour a foot of concrete into each one. Embed 3 two foot long pieces of 1/2" rebar one foot into each. When the concrete is set enough to hold the weight of the pipe (2-4 hours) set the pipe frame into place and finish filling with concrete.

Old 11-08-09, 05:41 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Hi silverhead and welcome to the forum,
Being partial to tree swings myself, there may be a compromise. Are any of the trees reasonable in size? If you have a branch that is the right height and location, just needs another 20 or 30 years to hold a swing, then think about running the supports all the way up the tree to secure the limb. If the limb will not hold the swinging motion, then a nice 4x6 run between the two trees might work. Instead of drilling to fasten it, secure it with ropes. To avoid damaging the tree, replace the ropes every couple of years.

If the trees aren't sturdy enough, then Rays galvanized pipes or some wood beams might have to do.

Enjoy your swing
Bud

Old 11-09-09, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Drill a hole in a live tree? Kiss it goodbye before you do it. It would be tantamount to drilling a hole through your body. Same results. They are alive.
Hi Chandler - When I was a kid I used to help my grandfather drill holes in trees. Lots of trees, lots of holes. That was more than 50 years ago and most of those trees are still alive. People have been tapping maples for lots of years up here in Yankee land.

With that said, no way would I drill a hole in a tree to accept a pipe. Why not just build a swing set?

Old 11-09-09, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I had pictured a hole 2" in diameter through the entire trunk, as I would think that would be the minimum size pipe to hold a swing. I think that would do in the tree. I agree with the harvesting of maple, rubber, etc., but I think they do it a little more scientifically than just drilling a hole.