Building Deck on top of Brick Patio?

Old 01-06-10, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building Deck on top of Brick Patio?

I am planning a 14'x30' deck on the back of my house that will be built over a brick patio with the same foot print. The brick patio will be 4' lower than the deck so how do I install the posts? Is it safe to install post anchors directly to the brick patio with masonry anchors? Remove the brick and attach with anchors to the underlying concrete? Or is it recommended to dig up the brick & slab to pour standard concrete footings? To dig up the brick patio & slab would be a major project as the patio is up to 3' deep in parts. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-10, 06:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You will need to remove bricks at the location of the posts, dig a hole at least 12" in diameter and 12" deep (unless you are in Sand Mountain) install a sonotube and fill with concrete. From this point you would install Simpson Strongtie post bases and thus your posts. You can always replace the brick, cutting them to fit the circumference of your base.
Placing the post directly on the brick, will definitely cause the brick to sink and become unstable.
NOW, that's the way you normally do it. On the parts where the concrete is 3' deep, is it continuously 3' deep, or is it a wall veneer? It must be structurally sound to withstand the weight above it in small places. With sufficiently deep slab, you can remove the brick and install the post bases directly on the slab, but it is not recommended. Brick are not structural, and that is why I say remove them, as they will crush under weight.

Old 01-07-10, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! You will need to remove bricks at the location of the posts, dig a hole at least 12" in diameter and 12" deep (unless you are in Sand Mountain) install a sonotube and fill with concrete. From this point you would install Simpson Strongtie post bases and thus your posts. You can always replace the brick, cutting them to fit the circumference of your base.
Placing the post directly on the brick, will definitely cause the brick to sink and become unstable.
NOW, that's the way you normally do it. On the parts where the concrete is 3' deep, is it continuously 3' deep, or is it a wall veneer? It must be structurally sound to withstand the weight above it in small places. With sufficiently deep slab, you can remove the brick and install the post bases directly on the slab, but it is not recommended. Brick are not structural, and that is why I say remove them, as they will crush under weight.
Thanks for the info. On the 3' thick section how can I tell if I have a wall veneer? If it is not a veneer and it is a concrete slab are you recommending that I still dig out a 12" x 12" section of the slab to install the sonotube? This brick patio is 32' wide and is sloped so about 2/3 of the patio is over 1' deep. Thanks again! Hudson

Old 01-08-10, 05:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are confident the slab is that thick, you can mount your post bases to the slab. Any thinner and the slab will fail and crack. Again, only the brick would need to be removed in the area where the post bases are used, as they cannot be affixed on top of the brick.

Old 01-09-10, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
If you are confident the slab is that thick, you can mount your post bases to the slab. Any thinner and the slab will fail and crack. Again, only the brick would need to be removed in the area where the post bases are used, as they cannot be affixed on top of the brick.
Very good. I appreciate the info. May have more questions later!