screened in porch diy

Old 02-22-10, 09:34 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
screened in porch diy

Good day do it yourselfers

We have a back deck attached to the house and we would like to enjoy it more but where we live in the south there are too many bugs.
I have been procrastinating enough...you married guys probably know

I will include some pictures.
Should I build myself or do I order one of those aluminum kits?
fI I decide to build...humm.....how to start?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-22-10, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 850 Votes on 779 Posts
That's probably the lowest pitch roof I have ever seen with asphalt shingles on it, over the patio doors. It would be amazing if it has never leaked!

The aluminum kits are nice but very pricey. The roof panels can be installed at a very low pitch, which is what you would need. And it is nice to have windows that you can open and shut.

The problem with framing anything yourself is the pitch of the roof. If you attached to your existing fascia, you wouldn't have any headroom at your exterior wall because of the pitch. So to get the roof up higher, you'd have to match the pitch of the roof over the patio door, which would mean tearing into the roof, attaching new rafters, extending them out over the deck... which IMO might be a really bad idea, given that the pitch of that roof over the patio door looks less than 2:12 pitch. And it would basically mean reroofing that entire side of the house.

So here is what I might suggest. Start with a patio cover. Patio covers are fairly easy to install, can be installed at a low pitch, some can probably even be flat if they have a 360 degree perimeter gutter. In your case, a perfectly flat level roof would be best, if you are far enough south for no snow load. It would attach to your 90-98" high fascia. It would have a post at each corners, and maybe one in the middle of the front. You'd probably want a roof pan that was flat on the bottom, which would make it easier to frame walls underneath it later. I've installed some from Mason Corporation, (Birmingham, Alabama)

Once the patio cover was done and paid for, you could think about enclosing the patio cover with some walls, and frame openings for some standard sized storm windows... you'd figure out what storm windows are available (in stock) and build to fit.

Old 02-22-10, 06:37 PM
V
yes

Yes my friend, this is a very low pitched roof with shingles and I have had troubles with leaks but nothing the last 4 years, knock on wood. You will be suprised that the low pitch roof also have skylights

If I will ever have to redo my roof i will go with a metal roof.

I like the idea of starting with a cover. Like you said tearing in the roof would be a bad idea.

I'm going to research on patiocovers and procrastinate a lil more

thanks for your reply!!!

Old 02-22-10, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 850 Votes on 779 Posts
This may seem like a dumb idea, but you could also get a mosquito tent, like you would use for camping... just anchor it to a few eyelets at each corner. That'd be a heck of a lot less expensive and easy to set up and take down! Your deck is so big you could set it up out there and still have some room around the outside of it for your grille and such. If you were looking for an easier alternative, that is... lol

Beautiful trees, by the way. Reminds me of Louisiana / Mississippi! good luck!

Old 02-23-10, 01:19 PM
V
ga

I don't think my other half would go with something like that...it has to be something year around

My location is on St. Simons Island, GA......land of the gnats

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: