Treated wood Deck Preparation

Old 02-25-11, 11:37 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Treated wood Deck Preparation

3 years ago I stained a new deck with Sikkens Translucent. Last year I applied a coat of Waterproof. Need to restain. Verticles in good shape. Horizontals are smooth and show little or no stain. Handrails a little rough. Splash test identifies a only a few areas where water doesn't penetrate in a few seconds. Having heard that sanding closes pores and Cleaners/Brighteners open them,
Questions:
1-Should I lightly sand deck to remove any areas of waterproof & stain and smooth handrails BEFORE using Cleaner and Brightener or AFTER?
2-Should I sand at all or only use Cleaner/Brightener?

Old 02-25-11, 01:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What kind of waterproofer did you apply?

The odds are that washing the deck with some TSP and bleach/water will remove what's left of the waterproofer [especially if it's Thompson's WaterSeal] After cleaning with TSP and bleach - you can better evaluate the need for a deck brightner. I rarely ever do any sanding when restaining a deck although I would sand the handrails a little if they are rough.

Old 02-25-11, 02:11 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Except for some minor smoothing on the hand rails if needed, I wouldn't do any sanding on PT wood.

Stain/sealer -- you're going to get what you pay for. Generally, the higher the cost, the higher the quality, and the longer it will last.

Old 02-26-11, 05:10 AM
S
Marksr, thanks. The Waterproof was Olympic. I'm trying to stay away from a stripper by using a Cleaner since there is very little Sikkens stain remaining, if any, on the horizontals and I've heard that strippers including TSP/bleach/water are somewhat caustic whereas the Oxegen bleach cleaner is not. But, if I use the TSP formula, I wouldn't also use a Cleaner---correct? Just the Brightener to restore the ph and, regardless of what I use, your recommendation is, no sanding, except lightly on the handrails. Do I sand them before or after the TSP or Cleaner? Thanks again.

Old 02-26-11, 05:14 AM
S
lefty, thanks for the advice. Should handrails be sanded before or after the Cleaner or TSP/bleach/water?

Old 02-26-11, 07:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Do your sanding after the cleaning, just a light sanding to knock down the burrs.

I hardly ever use any of the commercially prepared deck cleaners. Bleach/water [and TSP if needed] is cheaper and just as effective. The bleach solution often negates the need for a brightener. Oxygenated bleach is more diy and environmentally friendly but I don't think I've ever used it. Rinsing any run off areas well [before and after] dilutes the cleaner enough so it doesn't cause any damage.

Regular bleach can damage wood fibers so it should never be mixed stronger than 50/50. I usually use 40-50% bleach.

Old 02-26-11, 09:41 AM
S
Thanks again. Just one more question. The paint store person (27 years experience) said I should use a powerwasher to moisten the deck before applying any cleaner (Defy, or TSP solution),spray it on and rinse off after the cleaner after about 15-20 minutes. He also suggested scrubbing with a deck brush.
A big box store guy (who was very young and had only worked 3 weeks in the Paint dept) says not to use a powerwasher since it can harm wood, don't scrub with brush since the cleaner, not sripper, will do the work, and to use a garden hose to rinse cleaner off. Interestingly, both recommended a Brightener be applied immediately after rinsing the cleaner to assure proper PH.
What do you recommend---powerwash or not?
Thanks.

Old 02-26-11, 02:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I use a PWer washer, mainly because it's quicker and I own one. Care must be used with a PWer because too much pressure can chew up the wood If you have a PWer - use it, otherwise a garden hose is fine.

I always wet the wood first, then apply the cleaner, let it set but not dry and then rinse it off. There are times when scrubbing can be beneficial - mainly hard to clean spots. I generally use an old broom if I need to scrub..... my old back doesn't like bending over

I seldom use any brightner so it might want to read the label

Old 02-27-11, 07:43 AM
S
marksr,
Thanks for all of your advice, I'll hook up my powerwasher, wet the deck, use the cleaner, try the brightener, scrub a little, PW rinse off, let it dry, sand lightly on the handrails, blow off any sanding dust, apply 1 coat of Sikkens Translucent, let dry, and then, in complete exhaustion, sit on the deck with a freshly made martini knowing that I won't have to do it all again for a while---the deck, not the martini. Getting too old for this stuff.
Sounds like a plan thanks to you.

Old 02-27-11, 10:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Your more than welcome. I'd offer to help you with that last step but I quit drinking 19 yrs ago

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: