Need Advice on Railing for Concrete Patio

Old 02-26-10, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need Advice on Railing for Concrete Patio

i started installing railing on may 32x15 concrete patio today. I used 2 3/4″ anchors and Simpson Strong-Tie ABA44Z 44 standoff post bases to get my posts connected with the concrete. when i was setting the anchors they seemed very tight and did not budge. but as soon as I started nailing the posts to the bases, the bases/anchors started to loosen up a little bit. since the sections i did today were only 6' long each and all touch a structure on one end, i will install L brackets to make these railings super sturdy.

i still have one 32' long side to go and i am no worried that the method i was using today is not gonna be sturdy enough for this long part of the patio. does anyone have any advice on what anchors and bases i should use instead?

thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-10, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Key question. Why are you railing a patio? Is it for aesthetics? Is is necessary for code issues, or what? What type "anchors" did you use? Lag shields and Lags? Expandable drive pins? How old is the pour? Sorry for all the questions, but answers will help formulate a solution.

Old 02-27-10, 11:52 AM
thanks for the quick reply. the patio came with the house we bought about 3 years ago. from the way it looks it's not the newest. it's pretty big (15x33) and about 32 inches of the ground. we have a 1 year old and need to rail it in so he can be in the backyard.

as far as the anchors, we used 1/2" x 2-3/4" Red Head Wedge Anchors.

another problem with this patio is that whoever built it put a round of brick on the outer edge of it. we knew we couldn't set the anchors on the bricks so we had to go about 6" in to set the 4x4s.

thanks

Old 02-28-10, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I know you've got it built, and hindsight is 20-20, but if I had done it with such a long wall, I would have used 6x6's and rabetted out half the post about 24" high, then fastened this rabbet to the side wall with these Red Head LDT-1230 Anchor. It would have give better lateral support to the railing. It may still be salvagable. Where your posts are, fasten a 2x4pt about 1' long vertically on the side wall using these fasteners. then you can bring down an angular brace to the outside, then anchor your angle back to the board on the side of the wall. Sort of like building a bridge support.

Old 03-02-10, 06:50 AM
I have serious doubts that any fastening system that only goes in a few inches and uses the stand off bases will work. Your 4x4's are really only being held upright by a few nails in the sides. To make a strong railing I would set metal pipe into the concrete or pressure treated 4x4's and build it like a fence.

Old 03-06-10, 10:41 PM
3stones,

Trying to use redheads to secure Simpson post bases to a slab so the you can install wood posts simply ISN'T going to work.

Your rail needs to be a steel rail -- wrought iron rail or fence -- with flanges at the base, and redhead THOSE to the concrete. Another option would be aluminum posts that are reheaded to the slab with railing sections between the posts.

Either of thoise will work because they eliminate one joint -- the base to the post. THAT is where your occurs.

Read Simpon's catalog -- NONE of there post bases are rated for a "non-top supported load", like a railing or a fence.

Old 02-25-11, 10:02 AM
There are several ways I would recommend using aluminum post. First off if this is a residence and the height of the patio is at grade or not above by 30", you can use a 36" high rail. (Always verify with your local inspector) You can install the post inground, plate mount, structural shoe or core drill (3 1/2" hole x 3" deep). Also, you can visit our site for additional options or styles of aluminum rail or glass rail at *** No Ads.com***

Last edited by lefty; 02-25-11 at 10:22 AM. Reason: no advertising allowed