Pavers over concrete porch?

Old 03-11-10, 02:48 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pavers over concrete porch?

My concrete porch is in good shape, but is is barely below grade so during a heavy rain, water comes up on the porch. I'm interested in putting pavers over it to raise it above grade (I have a depth of about 3" to work with), but don't want to use sand as a base because water would sit under the pavers a long time before drying. Freezing is not an issue, I'm in the deep South. Can I use cement or thinset and lay them like tile? Which is recommended-cement, stone pavers or something else?

Sorry if this problem has been addressed, I searched the posts and couldn't find this particular question.

Old 03-13-10, 07:54 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That's been a point of debate for a long time. I worked for a guy who would mix 3 sand to 1 portland, for a base & lay it over cement. I just passed his house the other day. All is well with the driveway that we did about 7 years ago.

Others say never mix cement with the sand in that case. There is a ready mix that's available to use as a base.

Is there any pitch to the section that you want to do?

Old 03-20-10, 05:30 AM
S
There is decent pitch to the porch, so that won't be an issue. What is the ready mix that's available to use as a base?

Old 03-20-10, 06:25 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't remember the name of it. I only saw it once. It's probably more expensive than mixing portland with sand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: