Enclosing my deck

Old 03-24-10, 11:07 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Enclosing my deck

I have a 16x20 deck that I want to add 10 feet to and enclose the whole thing and put a nice roof with a simple hip design on it. The original deck is supported by 4x4s on 4' centers8" thick concrete pads 2 feet below grade, attached to a 2x10 frame with floor joists on 16" centers. The original deck was built 5 years ago and hasn't moved a bit.
Can I enclose as is or do I need a foundation?

Old 03-24-10, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
One measurement you missed....how high off the ground? 4x4's generally will prove inadequate for support of the roof and additional floor weight. Your footings may need enlargement, but that can be a call for the inspector. Your flooring framing is adequate. Do you have any midspan posts or beams? I am assuming you are adding the 10' to the length and not to the width. How much of a slope does your deck have house-to-edge? How do you plan on flooring it?
Would help to know where you are located, also, as building restrictions vary greatly from area to area.

Old 03-25-10, 05:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The deck is almost flat, 16" off the ground. I live in a county on the Ks. Ne. border. No building restrictions but a permit will be necessary (for taxation I presume). There is a midspan beam the length of the deck also supported by the same 4x4 support again on the 4'centers, on deck footing pads as described. The beam is also 2x10s on on each side of the 4x4 posts bolted on with 3/8" galvanized carriage bolts. There is no inspector to deal with except me. The footings are 36" deep, not the 24 I represented earlier. The addition is to the length.

Old 03-25-10, 07:58 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
billthebuilder,

My first concern would be the footings (And if you'll reread what you have posted about them so far, I think that you'll agree that they haven't been described very well!!)

I think that you are talking about footings that are an upside down "T" -- the bottom being 36" below grade, whatever square by however thick, then sonotubed up (using an "X" sonotube) to the surface.

A deck that is 18" above grade will need a fairly small footing. A roof that is 8' or 10 higher than that deck would need a SIGNIFICANT footing if the footings were only installed at the posts supporting the roof.

I would be inclined to simply pour a stem wall and build the walls off of that and attach the roof to the top of the walls -- just like building a house or a garage.

Old 04-06-10, 10:26 PM
D
You could probably use a Patio enclosure on the existing deck. Aluminum, glass and screen. You didn't say what the enclosure structure would be made of.

Old 04-07-10, 04:08 AM
L
billthebuilder,

The permit may be used for taxation reasons as well, but it's first and foremost reason for being in existence is SAFETY!

It's highly unlikely that the footings that support your existing deck are going to support the windloads involved with a roof over the deck.

Submit your plans to the bldg. dept. and be prepared to make the needed changes that they are going to require. I don't know what they will require for footings because I'm not familiar with the soils in your area, whether or not frost is an issue, snow load, wind load, your seismic zone, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: