Patio over a raised concrete porch possible?

Old 03-28-10, 06:11 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio over a raised concrete porch possible?

Hi everyone

I need some help determining whether a project is feasible. We have a raised porch that is about a foot and a half off of the ground. It seems to be just poured concrete, but the former owners of the house built a flower bed in front of it and screened it in so I haven't looked underneath yet. I will have to tear off the flower bed, which is made of bricks. The screens/windows that enclose the porch need to be either replaced, along with the wood that holds them, or torn off. I'm hoping to tear off the flower bed, the windows and screens, and have an open porch. I would like to cover the concrete porch with patio stones, but it has quite a slope to it and I would probably have to level it off with sand or concrete. I would then build a retaining wall against it, and a few steps down to the ground, which I would cover with more patio stones to make the lower level of a bi-level patio. Another question I have is if I can build the retaining wall out a few feet from the porch, since it's only five feet or so wide, and then fill in the resulting space with sand or concrete. This would make the higher level bigger. The roof of the house covers the porch right now, but the whole thing would hopefully be waterproof and the water would run away from the house, since we have a basement. Also we live in Michigan, so it does freeze every winter. I would love some input on what to use under any of the stones, problems to watch out for, etc, or some opinions on whether this is even feasible at all. I could probably tear the concrete out but don't want to Thanks in advance, Kelly

Old 03-28-10, 06:34 PM
I think so photos would be helpfully to visualize what you have in mind. the fact it is a raised porch already suggests to me you need to probably tear the whole thing out and start from scratch but seeing it would help.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 03-29-10, 01:53 PM
K
Red face

Figured out how to attach photos...will do sometime today hopefully Update: I can't find a link anywhere to create an album of pictures to add to my profile...so I'm in neutral at the moment until I figure this one out I saw in the FAQ link that there should be a link in my control panel to create an album but I don't have that link.

Last edited by kellycamino; 03-29-10 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 03:39 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Put the photos on a free site (like photobucket or whatever) and post the URL in here.

Old 03-30-10, 06:13 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It sounds like it would be easier to build a deck on top of what you now have. In stead of a retaining wall use this are to put in your front posts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: