Decking Finish (stain) and layout question

Old 04-05-10, 08:27 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Decking Finish (stain) and layout question

Wife wants more Deck!

Seems like an easy enough project, but there is trouble if you look for it.

I have an existing deck that we are adding on to. The existing deck is partially under cover of an overhanging roof. The deck boards are 5/4 x 6 PT, stained a brown. The portion of the decking under the roof still has a somewhat solid stain to it. The exposed wood has the stain flaking off and some mold on parts of the boards (maybe the last 4' of the boards x 20' wide). The new deck will be an extension of the existing in full exposure to the elements. I plan to again use the 5/4 x 6 decking (PT), and want to try and maintain the same color scheme. As for trying to blend in the new and old decking, I plan to stagger the new / old boards (basically pull the existing, cut off the portion that was exposed as it is quite cracked, and moldy, then reinstall). My stagger plan would be to stagger the joints over 4 joists. A few questions though...

1. Was thinking of trying sand the existing boards with a palm sander to try and remove the majority of flaked stain. I am hesitant thought since this is PT.
2. There is an issue with the existing deck that I have found. 1st, I do not believe that they tied it into the house at all. 2nd is that the footers were not deep enough (get frost heave every year). I want to tie into the house, but because of these issues, I do not dare. One fear I have is that the deck will be fine this summer, fall, etc. But come next winter & spring, it will come apart.

The existing deck is a good size, two sections, one is about 20 x 16, with 12' of the 16 under cover. The 2nd section is about 18 x 8 that is all exposed. I do not know what the footer situation is yet until I start to remove some boards to investigate.

Old 04-05-10, 02:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I just address question #1, there are other members better qualified to answer #2

It's usually best to pressure wash [or clean by hand] the deck before recoating. This will probably remove most of the loose/peeling stain. After it dries, you can reassess the need for any sanding. I usually use bleach [it's cheap ] diluted with an equal [or little more] amount of water. Wet the deck and then apply the bleach/water solution with a pump up garden sprayer, let set but not dry and then rinse. A garden hose will also work - a PWer is just easier. Stubborn areas may require a 2nd treatment or a little scrubbing.

The new PT wood should stain to the same color using a solid stain. There will be a little bit of texture difference between the old wood and new. The new wood will have a tighter grain, the old will have a bit of a weathered look.

Old 04-06-10, 06:03 PM
H
supports clearing up

Thanks for the info on cleaning the existing decking. That shoudl do the trick. I am also planning on blending the new and existing decking (or that is the plan now).

So, I looked closer at the deck and it is not attached to the house anywhere, so I am not going to tie it in. Now my fear is the depth of the footers. As I have frost heave every year, I am not sure how I should go about the footer depth. should I just go the depth that is required, or should I dig an existing footer and try and copy that depth?

Old 04-11-10, 04:45 AM
H
Radiussed Stairs

So, we had friends over the other day and seeked some advice for the layout and stairs. I was pitching a simple 6' wide stair, but the consensus was for a radiussed stair that would would end up with a 6' radius lowest step. The deck is only about 24" tall. Now the all important question. How do I frame a radiussed stair? Obviously, I will have several stringers current thinking is 7 or 8, in a radius patter, but I am a tad unsure how to frame the top step (edge of deck) where the stringers tie in.

Any thoughts, or any links to other sources is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-13-10, 07:32 AM
H
The Radiussed Stair

So, as per the above note, we are going with the Radiussed stairs. BUT, I have a few questions, and / or concerns...:
1. Not too sure of the tread pattern. Was going to make the top step and stair patterns different than the deck itself. Was thinking of going diagonally from the deck (at a 45, as the stairs are in a corner of the deck). Problem with this will be cutting the actual radius pattern on each tread (bottom step is 6' out on each side, which is roughly 8' long).
2. Still a tad unsure about the framing of the stairs themselves. Currently the plan is for 7 stringers, radially located from the deck corner. Then I would header off the top ends of the stringers and tie back into the deck framing. Also thinking of dropping another post near the center stringer.
3. For conventional steps, I would simply support them from the deck framing and let the ends float on the ground, or use a thin slab for a landing. These steps are going to be much larger. Now I am thinking I may need to put a footer under the bottom step, or at least tie-in the two edge stringers (remember, the stairs will form a 90 deg arc) back into a new header from post to post.

I am doing the design using Google Sketchup and can not figure an easy way to safe a .jpg file of it, but will try and post something, even if it is simply a sketch on paper.

Attached is a .jpg of the deck layout. The Brown areas are the existing deck

Last edited by HerContractor; 04-13-10 at 07:54 AM. Reason: More

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: