Uh-oh, Did I damage my deck?

Old 04-06-10, 07:11 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Uh-oh, Did I damage my deck?

Hi group!
Well, taking initiative, I decided to refinish and old deck that had lots of algae and mold growth. I read many articles on what agents to use, and landed on disodium percarbonate (oxygen bleach), Cabot Problem solver wood brightener (oxalic acid), and TSP substitute. I mixed the oxygen bleach to mfg spec for deck cleaning, added a little TSP, and sprayed it onto the deck surface. I let it sit 10-15 mins and lightly scrubbed. As the deck was very dirty, I repeated x 1. After rinsing with a garden hose, I sprayed on the brightener. After 10-15 mins, I rinsed again. While the wood was drying, I noticed white "hair-like" substance on the wood surface. Did I damage the wood surface with this prep? How do I fix this problem? Maybe sand when completely dry? I'll try to post a pic with this post. Thanks for any advice.

Edit:
Pic attachment didn't work...

Old 04-06-10, 07:30 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your picture post is not working. When the wood gets wet, it will raise some fibers. You probably did not notice it on the dirty deck. I would just give it a very light scuff sanding to remove the fibers and damp wipe the deck to remove the dust. Then, when the wood is completely dry, apply your sealer or stain/sealer.

Old 04-06-10, 01:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 594 Posts
The wood will 'fuzz up' if too much pressure is used [or the tip too close to the wood] Too strong a bleach solution can also cause it although I'm not real familiar with oxygenated bleach.

As noted above - sanding should fix it. Depending on the finish you plan to use, you don't need to go crazy with the sanding. A quick sand to knock down the fuzz should be fine.

Old 04-06-10, 06:56 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Will be using 80grit on the deck tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: