Replace 70's wrought Iron supports with wood post?

Old 04-07-10, 01:41 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace 70's wrought Iron supports with wood post?

Here's a photo of my porch. I want to get rid of the 3 black supports and replace it with one wood post at the corner. Several other houses like mine were done like this or was changed later.

I will have to replace the top portion of the ceiling, I guess, since there will be 2 holes where the other ones were.

What would be the best way to go about replacing this? Does the top get screwed into a bracket? I figured I'd use a decking bracket for the bottom (bolt the bracket into the brick wall and screw the wood into the braket)

Thanks for any help on how to approach this project
Tim

Old 04-07-10, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Looks as if all you will lose is one piece of vinyl soffit material, so that's good. You can buy it from a local supplier and cut it to fit once you have the posts in place. I would go ahead and remove that last piece to give work room. You are correct in supporting the post on a Post Base and fastening it to the brick. I replaced 3 last week for a client and the tops are screwed into the underside wood soffit, so you will need access. You can, after the posts are in place, install base molding, crown at the top , all sorts of decorative things once you get the eye for it. Let us know if we can help further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: