Solid or Semi Transparent Deck Stain???

Old 04-11-10, 07:34 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid or Semi Transparent Deck Stain???

I'm in the middle of preparing to seal and stain my 5 year old deck.

Now I need advice on what type Solid or Semi Transparent.

My thoughts & concerns:

- Cabot s will most likely be the brand I use as this seems to be favored.

- I LOVE the idea of being able to spray on Semi Transparent.

- Solid may be a better choice as it should last longer and cover some of the 5 year wear/neglect of the wood.

- My neighbors new PT deck is pealing just a year after applying a solid stain.

- My other neighbor has a wood shed that has been there for at least 5 years and also has a solid stain that still looks like new and has never been touched.

Old 04-12-10, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
I doubt you would be able to successfully spray a semi-transparent thru a pump up garden sprayer. Both semi-transparent and solid can be sprayed with an airless.

Your neighbor's deck with solid stain probably peeled because the wood was still 'wet' from the PT process. It's best to wait 6 weeks - 6 months before sealing new PT. That allows the wood to dry and any chemicals to leach out that would affect the stain's bond. Another possibility is the type of solid stain used. A deck stain can be used for most any application but a siding stain should not be used on a deck.

A semi-transparent stain will hide minor differences in the wood while still allowing the wood's grain/coloring to show. A solid stain will hide more defects but won't show off the different coloring in the wood. The wood's grain texture should still be visible.

Unless I know in advance that the deck will need a solid stain to look good [or is desired by customer] I'll wait until I have cleaned the deck to make the final decision on what type of stain to use.

Old 04-12-10, 03:31 PM
R
Thanks for that info marksr

Well I went over the whole deck about 4 times with 50/50 Bleach solution and rinsed each time.

Just waiting for it to fully dry and I will post pics so people have a better idea of what I am working with.

I would really like to go with semi trans but I am not sure if my deck is in good enough condition to yield the results I am after.

Old 04-13-10, 05:01 PM
R
OK, so here are some pictures of it all clean and dry. Is the wood in good enough condition where the Semi will cover any small imperfections??

Old 04-14-10, 05:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Semi-transparent should work fine

Don't forget to avoid lap marks. That means keeping a wet edge. Often this can mean only staining a certain amount of boards at a time. This can be real important if you are applying the stain in the sun.

Old 04-14-10, 09:18 AM
R
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Semi-transparent should work fine

Don't forget to avoid lap marks. That means keeping a wet edge. Often this can mean only staining a certain amount of boards at a time. This can be real important if you are applying the stain in the sun.
Thanks Marksr.

Looks like semi trans it is.

Now to pick out the color or colors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: