50/50 chlorine bleach for deck??

Old 04-12-10, 08:53 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 50/50 chlorine bleach for deck??

I just used Olympic Premium Deck Cleaner‎ which works great. I believe the Bleach is what is making it work so great (seeing its all I can smell!)

I need to finish the cleaning the deck today and I ran out of the Olympic .

Can I use a 50/50 mix of cheepo Chlorine bleach ( or does Olympic use oxygenated Bleach??) Is this gonna yield similar results and save me some money?

Old 04-12-10, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I can't say for sure if regular bleach will give the same results but for the most part, bleach is what I use to clean decks, siding and such before painting/staining. Bleach can destroy wood fibers and harm vegetation! You never want to use it stronger than 50/50! You'll need to rinse well, including any vegetation that might get run off or misted with the bleach. Wetting those areas first [and during] will help to dilute any bleach that gets on them.

What type of stain do you intend to use after the deck is clean and dry?

Old 04-12-10, 02:14 PM
R
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I can't say for sure if regular bleach will give the same results but for the most part, bleach is what I use to clean decks, siding and such before painting/staining. Bleach can destroy wood fibers and harm vegetation! You never want to use it stronger than 50/50! You'll need to rinse well, including any vegetation that might get run off or misted with the bleach. Wetting those areas first [and during] will help to dilute any bleach that gets on them.

What type of stain do you intend to use after the deck is clean and dry?
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I actually had to get this done so I can stain next weekend. I ended up using a little less then a 50/50 bleach solution and it worked great!

I rinsed the deck as best i could with a garden hose went over the whole deck about 4 times with the bleach and rinse.

I am trying to decide on a solid, semi trans or semi solid.

I Posted a thread for suggestions here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/decks-...ml#post1716617

I would really like to go with semi trans but I am not sure if my deck is in good enough condition to yield the results I am after.

Before:

After:

Old 04-12-10, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just an opinion...but I think you should use a semi-trans...looks like the wood cleaned up pretty well, and the semi would allow the grain to show a bit. Of course it won't wear quite as well...but on the walking surfaces....I think it lasts longer than a solid.

I just never liked the solid stain...so I'm biased I guess.

Old 04-12-10, 02:40 PM
R
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Just an opinion...but I think you should use a semi-trans...looks like the wood cleaned up pretty well, and the semi would allow the grain to show a bit. Of course it won't wear quite as well...but on the walking surfaces....I think it lasts longer than a solid.

I just never liked the solid stain...so I'm biased I guess.
Thanks Gunguy

Some opinions is exactly what I wanted to hear

Old 04-12-10, 02:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
It's a little hard to say until the deck is completely dry. If the wood color is fairly consistent, you should be ok with a semi-transparent stain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: