Brick paver help needed

Old 04-15-10, 06:37 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brick paver help needed

I'm knee deep into insalling a clay paver walkway and having difficulty getting my sub base level. The walk is 22' x 4' and slopes about 4'' lengthwize. I've dug to 12", compacted the subsoil and have so far added 2 - 3" layers of crushed base compacting in between. I'm doing fine keeping it level side to side, but am getting lots of high/low areas lengthwise. All the online info states a "level subbase" but don't tell you how to achive this. I desperatly need to correct this in my last layer of base. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Old 04-15-10, 01:59 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Level subbase, as in, as smooth as you can get it. If you put a straight edge on the compacted surface, you should have little or no humps or voids. Sometimes the walkway has to flow with the existing ground. To make the subbase as smooth as possible, I use 2 pieces of steel pipe. 3/4 will usually do. You could use larger if you have it or some sort of post (2x2 aluminum). Lay the pipe on the subbase, like a train track, level the pipes as you desire. Take a pretty straight board, about a 5' piece and smooth the board over the track, smoothing out your base material. Compact, smooth, compact, smooth. Pull up the pipes, lay them for the next section and move on down the track. Comeback and fill in the little area where the track was and lay the pavers. Make sure your base is wider then the paver area so that the outside pavers won't tip out later. You could also install an edging to keep the pavers secure.

Old 04-16-10, 09:01 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dan! I have been sceeding the base material but without the rails, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to do it the same way the setting sand is done. Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: