Cut 4x4 posts into 2x2 spindles

Old 04-28-10, 07:48 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cut 4x4 posts into 2x2 spindles

Hi guys,

Quick question--I have several extra 4x4 posts but not enough 2x2 spindles. Any suggestions on the quickest most efficient way to cut the posts to width to make the spindles. I have a circular saw, not a miter saw. Could I simply make a cut, then flip it over and make another cut? In your experience does it make a cut that is square enough or is it just not worth it? Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-10, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not worth it...you need a table saw. Doing it with the circular saw will be a PITA and the results will probably be bad.

Better off buying more spindles and returning the posts if not needed.

Old 04-28-10, 09:16 AM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I've made them out of 2x4's and even questioned my sanity when done and that was on a table saw. The 4x4's are not treated all the way through, and often the center piece of a small tree, so how they would react over time is unpredictable.

As GG said, see if you can return them and pick up some matching spindles.

Bud

Old 04-28-10, 11:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
and even if it would work, it would be difficult if not impossible to get decent looking 2x2's with a blade that isn't capable of cutting completely thru the wood in 1 pass. Even then, they'd be little larger than the store bought 2x2 and need to be planed down and the edges rounded slightly with sandpaper

Old 04-28-10, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If the others didn't convince you, here's another opinion. Free and worth every penny of it. Don't do it. Don't even split 2x4's. The boards will contain a certain amount of unspent energy in the grain and once you release that energy by splitting it......they will warp.....guaranteed in writing. then as Marksr says, you have to go back and radius the edges. A total PITA.
Too cheap to buy the already cut and radiused balusters in a bundle. You can catch them on sale for about 88 cents. True the other lumber is cheaper, but you don't have anything when you finish, except aggravation.