Scraped down polymeric sand at joints - did I ruin my patio?

Old 04-29-10, 05:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scraped down polymeric sand at joints - did I ruin my patio?

Hi all,

First time home owner here with a dumb question - I spent 3 weekends working on a DIY 12x12 tumbled stone paver patio in the backyard with a friend. Dug out, filled with crushed gravel base, compacted, sand layer, pavers and then brushed in polymeric sand and let rain set it naturally days later.

Today I did something stupid ... while sweeping seeds and fallen debris off the patio, I noticed some of the joints looked almost overly filled with polymeric sand and it had set just about flush with the stones. As if the sand had swelled up and was overflowing onto the surface of the corners. So what did I do? I took out a screw driver and started scraping 1/8 - 1/4 of and inch down in the seams and joints. Not everywhere, just where it really jumped out at me. I thought it was better aesthetically.

But now from what I read, that was probably a bad thing and I'm worried that I've ruined the joint strength and stability and messed up what I worked so hard for 3 weekends to do. Is that the case or am I paranoid here? Should I get out more sand and sweep more into the gaps? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 04-30-10, 02:26 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nothing is ruined. Add some more sand & leave it. Fine sand is sufficient.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: