deck around my above ground pool

Old 05-04-10, 11:34 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
deck around my above ground pool

hi going to biuld a 4 foot deck around my above ground pool
pool is 15ft x 48
wht i need to know is trapezoidal floor-joist frames--4-sided frames with two parallel sides and two sides that angle toward each other can any one help me with meauserents for this
the poles are 3ft apart and i want to go out 4ft all help is needed thanks
blackie

Old 05-05-10, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Blackie: I built one for a client several years ago. All you know about using a framing square will go out the window as there is nothing square in the design. I did like you, setting the interior vertical support with an inlet band. Then had to figure the width of the "ray" emanating from the pool, setting them with a band and ray joist. I completed the ray joists, then laid the decking, cutting the angles. With no advertising intended, nor any solicitation you can go here Chandler's Carpentry, Etc. LLC and scroll down half way to see an example. Hope this helps. If you need more details, let us know. I am sure there are others with similar situations with good advice.

Old 05-05-10, 05:12 AM
B
hey thanks I think I'll cut them so they look right lol
thanks
blackie

Old 05-05-10, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Sorry mine didn't look right. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 05-05-10, 07:12 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How many of these trapezoids would it take to go completely around the pool, assuming that they are all the same size, or at least will have the same angles at the edges?

Once we know that number, we can determine what the angle would be and tell you how to frame it accordingly.

Old 05-05-10, 09:51 PM
B
hey thanks it will take 15 of them
thanks blackie

Old 05-06-10, 04:56 AM
L
With 15 sides, the angle of each side of each section will be 12 degrees. If you use 4X6's for the posts, you can set one post at each of the corners closest to the pool and one at each of the corners farthest from the pool. Set them so that the inner and outer beams end at the center of each post -- the beams share a post so you'll need 16 inner posts and 16 outer posts.

Once the beams are set install the joists at the edges of each of the sections. I would use dbl joists for those. After all 15 sections are framed that far then install the rest of the joists, starting with either a joist or a joist bay centered on the outer beam, and set them square to that beam. They will be centered and square to the inner beam.

The fact that the pool is oval rather than round won't matter. The 2 sides will just be longer than the sections that form the ends.

I'm curious as to why there are an odd number of sections involved. All of the oval pools that I've ever dealt with have an even number of sections -- the two long ones on each side and then the same number of equal sections at each end to form the oval.

Old 05-06-10, 08:55 AM
B
15ft round

i'm sorry my pool is 15ft round 4ft high
i did'nt make myself plain
blackie

i;m using 4x4's and 2x6's
thanks so much

Old 05-06-10, 09:21 PM
L
15' round and 48" tall -- THAT makes sense!! (I was having a problem visualizing a 15' X 48' oval pool!!)

Old 05-06-10, 10:46 PM
B
lol

that would look odd
now if i can just understand cuts to make lol

Old 05-07-10, 10:47 AM
L
Which cuts?

All can be made with a Skil saw. For the joist and beam ends, use a speed square to keep you going straight across the board if you need to and set the shoe of the saw to the angle you need to cut.

The ends of the deck boards can be cut with a Skil saw with the shoe set so it's cutting plumb and simply draw a line at the angle. (A tip -- get the entire section decked with the boards left long, snap a line and cut them all at once.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: