Rebuilding Deck Help

Old 05-05-10, 08:01 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding Deck Help

I recently sold my above ground pool and am left with a very large floating deck in the middle of my yard that was built around the pool. My goal is to take apart the deck and rebuild it against the house, I have about 200 square feet of useable deck. Here's my problem.

The wood is only 4 years old and in relatively good shape. The beams and supports are all perfect, the deck boards are 5/8", redwood I think. Whoever built the deck used nails. I have pulled up about half of the deck boards so far but many of the nails were countersunk and I am left with large holes in the boards. Some of the nails have pulled right through the boards. The underside of the boards are in better shape than the top.

I am going to use screws to rebuild the deck if it is possible but can't put them in the holes in as they are too large, the screws will not hold the boards down. I am thinking I can use the underside of the boards as the top for the new deck.

Any suggestions out there, I don't have the cash to buy new deck boards so I'm trying to salvage and reuse everything as I would hate to have to throw all the good wood out.

Old 05-05-10, 11:21 AM
F
They may not look aesthetically pleasing but perhaps you can use washers and countersink them?
But on the other hand, these holes may not even align once you rebuild your deck, so you may end up filling them and drilling new holes for your deck screws.

Old 05-05-10, 11:50 AM
D
I thought I might have to fill the holes, what would you recommend? Regular wood filler or is there something better?

Old 05-05-10, 02:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Most any exterior wood filler should do ok providing your not reusing that spot for a new nail/screw. Caulking will also work. What type of finish do you intend to put on the deck when you are finished?

Old 05-05-10, 02:54 PM
D
I am going to stain and then seal the deck, not sure of the color yet, I'm not concerned that the filler won't match the rest though. The underside of the boards are in very good shape, no discoloration from sitting on the joists, just some nail holes.

Old 05-06-10, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Deck stains are also a sealer so there is no need for a separate seal coat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: