Need help with 1 year old deck to make look new

Old 05-14-10, 09:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with 1 year old deck to make look new

I have a 1 year old deck- made of port orford cedar. stained with a semi-transparent stain 1 year ago. I have 3 problems I want to fix.
1. After a long winter and fallen leaves on the deck- there is a lot of grime/dirt that I can't remove. I have tried a garden hose & brush. I am concerned about using a deck wash, because I don't want to bleach it. So, how to I clean the deck? I almost feel like I have to get on my hands & knees and scrub it.
2. The knot holes have turned white. The stain is medium color so white circles stand out. What can I do?
3. There are some bare patches now in the stain where it came of or was worn off. Can I re-stain just these small areas?
Do I need to add a sealer after all is said & done?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-10, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

My experience with cedar decks is limited most wooden decks in the S.E. are PT pine.

The deck wash shouldn't bleach the deck. The wood brightners are used for that. You could also try laundry detergent. If there is mildew, you'll need to add bleach to mix. For the most part, the existing stain will keep the cleaners from bleaching out the wood. A pressure washer would also help with the cleaning process although care must be used!! Too much pressure can chew up the wood!

The know holes should clean up during the over all cleaning process. It would be difficult to just touch up the deck stain. After cleaning and drying - apply a fresh coat of stain. Deck stains are also sealers and no additional seal coat is needed.

As you now know it's best to remove leaves and debris off of the deck as soon as possible. Generally the cost of the stain is directly related to the price. Because the horizontal surfaces of a deck receive more and harsher weather than siding - most decks need to be cleaned and recoated every 2-3 yrs.