Reusing Deck Boards

Old 05-15-10, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reusing Deck Boards

I am wondering if anyone has taken existing deck boards (Pressure Treated) and simply flipped them over?

I have about 2/3 of my existing deck exposed to the weather and they are in need of refinishing. The ends of the boards under cover are fine. Problem I have is that the screws tend to rip out the tops of the boards when removed, such that they leave a large hole. I was thinking of simply taking each board, flipping it over, reattaching to the joists, then running an orbital sander over them to remove the joist marks. Anyone ever do this?

Oh, another reason for me to remove the existing boards in the first place is that I am adding on to the deck and I need to blend the new boards in with the old.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-10, 08:02 PM
Are you flipping them because they are weathered? They make solutions that will remove that from the surface. They work well.

Old 05-16-10, 05:22 AM
well...

Here is the situation, the new deck will butt up against the existing deck and will be flush. My plan it pull the existing boards, and install them in an alternating pattern with the new boards, such that the new and old will blend in well together. As stated previously, when removing the screws a tear out occurs in the board face, such that even though I could use a topical solution to "renew" the face, I still have these tear outs. That's why I was thinking of simply flipping them and doing a light sanding.

Old 05-16-10, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
After flipping them over you will still have a screw hole although it won't be as big as the indentation left by the screw head. Some holes might be able to be reused but there will be many that won't

Deck boards are supposed to be installed with the crown facing up. I don't know if your original boards were installed that way or even if it would be an issue when reusing the boards.

What type of stain were you hoping to use on the new deck? The boards that are flipped over will still be weathered compared to the new and you will be able to tell where the joists were. I don't know if sanding will be enough to fix that or not. You don't need to make the stain decision until your finished but I suspect you will need to use a semi-transparent or solid stain to make it all look uniform.

Old 05-16-10, 05:14 PM
Yes,

The deck boards were installed correctly, and sadly, I had forgotten that little detail.

The existing stain is a dark brown semi-transparent, looks good in the areas with a roof, but where it is exposed, there is clear wood, some cracked wood and lots of simply weathered looking stained wood.

Now I am not too sure how to proceed with this. I really did not want to replace all the boards...

Old 05-16-10, 05:52 PM
Get yourself a carving gouge with a tight sweep on it. Use it to score the fibers on each side of the screw head so when you take it out, the fibers break on the score line. You will probably wind up cutting them off and they will be out of the way completely.

I assume the screw heads aren't too far down, otherwise a drill bit may work.

This should help you determine what size and sweep to get:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Ar...eId=396&page=1

Old 07-27-10, 07:15 AM
Update

So, I really have not put much more thought into this until recently. I bought some Olympic Premium Deck cleaner and applied to to the smaller portion of the deck (12 x 14) and it came quite clean, but still looks like crap due to the faded, flaked existing stain. I had given up the idea of flipping boards until yesterday when I dropped a new drill bit between two existing boards to the crawlspace below. So, I am going to pull one board, flip it and see how it responds to sanding.

This is due to the fact that several of the boards are quite weathered. I am not worried about the crown issue since even though these boards were installed correctly, they still cupped quite a bit.

I will post an update after I do this.

Old 07-27-10, 10:08 AM
Opted out

So, I tried to remove the board and literally, the 1st six screws (square head) I tried to remove were stripped out (yes, it was a new bit in the driver). So, I so forget it!

Attached is a pic of the deck, showing from left to right:
-Existing deck, cleaned
-Existing deck, cleaned and sanded
-New last board and railing.

Honestly, the old boards do not look too bad except for the cracking and cupping here and there.
[IMG]//http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=bfbfbe95800c69c06d9889752d9a603c[/IMG]