Deck Footings Not Level

Old 05-17-10, 11:02 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Footings Not Level

Hi - just poured 6 footings that will accept 2 beams for a ground level deck (no posts being used). I did a dry fit of the beam and it looks like one of the six footings is slightly higher than the others, which are all level. This one footing is about 3/4 of an inch unlevel over 4 feet doesn't sound like much, but I'm spanning the 3 footing with a continuous 20' beam, so I'm anticipate it causing me problems.

One option I thought of is raising the other 5 to match, but I'd rather not do that. The only other thing I can think of is to notch the beam at the higher footing so it actually sits down level with the other 2 footings in the row.

Like I said, the footings are 20' long doubled 2x8s. Is notching in this way even possible. I haven't actually figured out how much of a notch it would have to be, but I'm figurin git would be slight.

Are there any other methods to fix this? HELP! Thanks!

Old 05-17-10, 11:17 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another option is to chop some of the footing with a cement chisel & a small sledge. Make sure all footings are sloped from the center downwards to the edge, so water doesn't collect.

Old 05-17-10, 08:37 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Another option would be to work off of the footing that is high and post (or shim) the other 5 footings as needed to bring the beams to the desired level. Raising the deck 3/4" probably isn't going to matter, and it will certainly be easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: