1st time deck staining-need pointers

Old 05-26-10, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st time deck staining-need pointers

I had a new PT deck built last fall and finally started to stain it last night (weather finally cooperating). We cleaned it with a deck cleaner and let it dry 24 hours.

I jumped right in on the staining (Olympic Semi-transparent) and realized this wasn't going to be anywhere near as easy as I'd hoped. I only got about a third done in one evening.

First, I didn't put down any drop cloths. I have stain drops all over as I was in a rush to try to get it all done in one night. This is both where I have not stained the horizontal surface and one level where I did. Lesson learned-take your time and use a drop cloth.

Now how to fix the drops? In places where I haven't stained the surface, I guess I could just strip it? How about where I already stained the surface? Should I just live with it?

Second problem--between the rail spindles. Our spindles have a plank on the front and back, leaving a gap of about 1.5-2" Really hard to get a brush down in there. Any tips? I was thinking a longer foam brush to work in the stain.

Third is how to get stain between the floor boards. The brushes I have aren't getting in there, do I just need smaller brushes? Is it okay to go back to the surface I already stained and try to work it between the cracks, or will it double coat what I've already done and make it look terrible?

Thanks for helping out!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-10, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is this an oil base, waterborne or latex stain?
It's possible that paint thinner or a product like 'oops' or 'goof off' might remove the offending spots from the raw wood. It's possible that a small amount of what was used to clean up the raw wood will also work on the stained wood...but be gentle, it's also possible cleaning might make it worse!

Depending on the width of the gap between boards, it might not be feasible to stain the edges A 2nd coat of stain over already stained areas might result in unsightly lap marks.

I'm not fond of the foam brushes although some diyers like them. I'd expect any rough places in the wood to shred them. I'm having trouble visualizing your issue with the railing, could you supply a pic or two?

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html