Porch column to beam attachment

Old 06-07-10, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch column to beam attachment

I am rebuilding the front porch on my 1890's home. I am debating about how to properly foot and anchor the porch support columns. As I see it, i basically have two options... Use a 10 ft. (approx.) turned 6x6 column footed directly on the concrete pier running all the way to the ceiling/roof... or use a short 6x6 post footed on the pier with an 8 ft. turned 6x6 column on top of that. I would prefer to use a continuous column (10 ft.) from top to footing. But how would I attach the perimeter beams (likely (2) 2x12's side by side) to the column. The IRC recommends notching the 6x6 or using an appropriate post cap post to beam attachment (http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf page 8). Is there any way to do this using a continuous 6x6 porch column from top to footing, basically bearing the weight of the roof and the porch floor in the same column? How would I attach the beams?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 06:39 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Can you post some pics of the porch to photobucket.com ?

Old 06-08-10, 08:22 AM
http://blueearth.minnesotaassessors....=45338&sid=127

That's the best I can do for now. I'll try to get a better picture, but the porch has been completely removed since then.

Old 06-08-10, 04:42 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You can install columns that go from the footing to the ceiling. That's not a problem. There are Z-max brackets sold at home depot that wrap around the 2x12s. The 2x12s sit on top of the columns.

However, you still need separate footings & posts to support the porch floor. You can't depend on the columns to handle all that weight.

Old 06-09-10, 06:38 AM
Do you mean by notching the columns? How else could the 2x12's "sit on top of the column" if the column is continuous from footing to ceiling?

Also, I'd rather not dig extra footings. So, can I foot/rest the column base on top of the porch floor directly above the (2) 2x12s beam corner which would be directly footed on the concrete pier? Thus digging one footing per column as opposed to two.

Old 06-09-10, 04:30 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Let's start again. I saw the picture you posted. I see 4 columns. They can go from the footing to the ceiling. Are the 2x12s that you mentioned on top of those columns? If they are, they can sit on top of them without a notch. Brackets are available for that.

If the 2x12s are under the porch floor between the columns, there are brackets made to hang them on the sides of the column. The span between columns looked large to me. That's why I recommended extra footings.