Rebuilding Farmer's Porch - Need Framing Advice

Old 06-09-10, 09:05 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding Farmer's Porch - Need Framing Advice

I am about to start rehabing my farmers porch that wraps around our 2-story A-frame colonial. The porch is 6ft wide and covers 18ft of the front of the house and about 30ft on the side of the house.

The geniuses that put it together 25 years ago didnt abide by todays codes. The footings are spaced every 12 feet and they used rough cut 4x6's to span the footings. The joists are rough cut 2x6's with 24" o.c. spacing.

They poured the concrete such that the beams rest right on the footing. So unless I want to either raise the porch or lower the footing, I'm stuck with a 6" beam. Is a 6x6 or tripled up 2x6 okay to span 12ft?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-10, 10:53 AM
B
I just found this chart from reading one of the other threads... Beam Span Chart - Decks.com

It says with a 12ft span to use two 2x10's. Would three 2x6's be equivelent to two 2x10's?

Old 06-09-10, 03:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
What about adding support between the 12' footers/piers?

Old 06-09-10, 03:48 PM
B
I guess I should start with the major reason I am rebuilding the porch. The columns that hold the roof up have shifted. The reason they shifted is because the footings are not properly centered under the column. The beam is on the very edge of the footing. And only quarter of the column is on the beam!

As you can see, only one quarter of column is resting on the beam which has resulted in it shifting over time. The trim board is taking the majority of the load.

I was planning to replace the original 4 x 6 with a tripled up 2 x 6 and hang one third of the new beam on the outside of the footing. This way all of the column will be on the beam. I suppose I could add another footing half way in between theh 12ft span but I was hoping a 6 x 6 beam would be adequate. Thanks!

Old 06-10-10, 08:35 PM
B
Bueller? Anyone??? 25char