Ledgers .... should i take the concrete plunge or freestand it ???

Old 07-19-10, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This structure is sufficient. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-10, 08:22 PM
ya ... it shouldnt be going anywhere.
i built the octagon to withstand the weight of a hot tub and 8 people(6000+ lbs )

these angles stink . i hope it all works out ok . 4 are 53" and the 4 diagonals are 43" . not gonna be a perfect octagon, but oh well , im on a roll now . the outer edges are square so thats all that matters for board spacing when i get to the end.

Old 07-21-10, 05:10 AM
went together well cant even tell the odd angles. besides, the diagonals are even so the last decking board should end up square.

gotta finish more joisting then decking is on its way .

need to think of a good design for a single, 7-8" high step in both entrances... the deck will only be about 14" total height from grade.... and all stringers come with too many step locations... would like to build my own . need ground contact wood i would think since 1/3 of the year itll be covered in snow

Old 07-24-10, 06:59 AM
framing done .
came out well .
lots of structure for hot tub support

laying decking today , then need to figure out how to make a single step stringer not look funny, seeing how the decks only 14" from grade....

Old 08-04-10, 06:17 PM
deck is done . finished thursday was inspected and passed . came out well. need to get furniture but thats easy . cheers

Old 08-04-10, 06:53 PM
In addition to the furniture, don't forget the bird feeders on the edge of the lawn.

The cover looks a little thick, but an automated deer feeder may be nice also since you can schedule the appearances. I have too many animals (deer bears, coons, possums, etc.) in town, but deer are nice to see until they get to the shrubs and plants. - Lost my hanging strawberries and pepper plants to them one night when they made an unscheduled appearance.

Everything looks great and professional to merit the thought and concern you put in to get is done properly. It is a nice deck in a good setting.

Dick

Old 08-11-10, 07:06 AM
I had a couple concerns. The spacing of the railing of the upper octagon and the lower section of the deck. This shouldn't be more than 4". Also the mulch up against your rim joist, that will speed up the rotting of that member.

Old 08-11-10, 09:50 AM
supra .
that picture was taken quickly right when my buddy laid down the mulch . its off the rim joists now.

as for the ballusters... theyre all under 4" , and inspected and passed.

Old 08-11-10, 10:35 AM
Yeah I was talking about the space between the railings themselves, not the ballisters. It looked like more than 4" but it looks great! I know my deck won't be as sturdy.

Old 09-04-10, 09:06 AM
Nice job on the deck. I'll be reading this thread and others as I learn the ins-and-outs of deck construction. I'm planning to build a screened porch with deck next year.