staining weathered deck

Old 06-15-10, 06:32 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
staining weathered deck

this deck im staining is very weathered, i mean it's pretty grey. How much sanding will this take? will the cleaner take care of some of hte grey? what about the Latus, how to I get the grey out of the latus?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-10, 07:31 PM
L
snowboardcanada,

The gray is just wood being exposed to moisture. Sanding won't take it out. (It's probably something like 1/8 to 1/4" deep!!) Something like a deck cleaner MAY work, or at the very least it will lighten it.

Redoing it with a solid stain will cover the gray. A semi-transparent won't.

Old 06-16-10, 05:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Cleaning will do a good bit in removing the gray. I usually use a bleach/water solution although there are commercially prepared cleaning solutions that are more diy friendly.

I'll wet the deck and then spray the the bleach solution on with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse it with a pressure washer. Care must be used with a PWer so you don't chew up the wood. Too much pressure or holding the tip too close to the wood will damage the wood fibers resulting in wood that needs sanding. If you don't have a PWer, a garden hose will also work.

Removing the gray is more than just for looks. The gray is natures way of protecting the wood, removal off the gray will allow the stain to adhere better. Depending on how the wood looks after cleaning you might be able to use a semi-transparent stain although a solid stain might be a safer bet.

The lattice would be cleaned in the same manner although less pressure would need to be used to keep from tearing the lattice up.

Old 06-16-10, 08:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Had a problem with my builder and my deck was nearly black by the time I realized he wasn't going to come back and seal it. I used a diluted bleach solution on it and it was nearly white after two applications. My neighbors all came over to ask how I turned the ugliest deck in the neighborhood into the best looking one.

Old 06-16-10, 06:31 PM
I pressure washed my smaller deck today. I pre-soaked with Wolmans deck cleaner/brightener. It's an oxygenated bleach(harmless) - mix and spray or mop on. Let set 10 minutes and spray away with PW.
Black deck now looks great. 11 horse Honda does wonders!! Can stain in a couple days.

My new BIG deck was finished just a couple days ago. Evergrain redwood composite w/white vinyl rail system. Better half LOVES it.
Now for some LED deck lights.............

fred

Old 06-20-10, 05:02 AM
S
encorecoatings OR aspecto-coat NO FINANCIAL INTEREST