Building a deck on a hilly ground for above ground pool

Old 06-18-10, 03:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a deck on a hilly ground for above ground pool

My wife has come up with an idea I was looking for advice on and possible cost and other issues. We live in a house that the back yard is not level at all. Im not sure what degree slope it has, lets say i get someone to mow it cause i cant do it anymore. so, anyway, we want to put one of the intex 15' X48" pools in the yard. excavating to make it level would cost at the least $200.00 for the bobcat. so my wife has thought of making a wood deck that would only sit off the ground high enough to make up for the slope of the yard, then put the pool on top of it. im concerned about the weight of the pool and possibly the deck sinking because of the weight. it would be about a 16' x 16' deck to hold the pool. dont make fun but am i barking up the wrong tree here. i think i am. please advice me on this. i would appreciate it. thanks.

Old 06-18-10, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't think a deck would be advisable to hold a pool. The weight issue alone would make that go away. Excavation would be the best thing to do, and if you can get it done for $200 you are lucky. Here it is $200 an hour! If you are proficient enough you can manage the bobcat yourself and save some money, but delivery charges are high also. IMO, get someone to dig for you, set the pool on firm ground, build a deck around it if you want, and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Old 06-18-10, 04:54 PM
D
You are looking at about 44,000 pounds of water in that pool.

Old 06-18-10, 04:57 PM
F
What is usually done is the pool is independently supported above ground on its own supports and the deck built around it. The deck itself should never carry the weight of the pool.
I used to have a very large hillside deck with an above ground fiberglass pool in it.

Old 10-11-10, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I have a neighbor that put up a small 3' deep, 12' diameter pool on a deck. I noticed after he took it down the deck had sunk a lot. Later he tore out the deck and the next year the pool was set up on the ground

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: