Shocks

Old 07-03-10, 09:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shocks

I just installed a deck made from PVC decking (Azek) and is very nice BUT I get a shock when I touch something metal. Can I ground this or is there another way to solve this problem??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-10, 03:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Can you better describe "something metal"? Where is the metal located? Did you send a screw or a nail through a wire? There is "leakage" somewhere.

Old 07-05-10, 12:37 PM
B
Originally Posted by BOGAYO View Post
I just installed a deck made from PVC decking (Azek) and is very nice BUT I get a shock when I touch something metal. Can I ground this or is there another way to solve this problem??
There is no electric on the deck. The metal I"m refering to is the storm door leading into the house. I think it is static shocks. ???

Old 07-05-10, 04:44 PM
V
shocks too

My husband and I just had a Azek deck installed in the past two weeks and are having the same problem. From what I can find out in researching this - Some materials cause or create more static electricity than others. Static electricity is the collection of electrically charged particles on the surface of a material. Many more electrons tend to collect on a PVC surface and cause the static shock when you touch something metal. I sent an email to Azek to see what they recommend for this. There are many postings from folks on this. I recommend you also go to their web site and put in an inquiry - the more inquiries the better. BTW the only recommendation I saw on line was to ground each board under the decking. This is not just a minor annoyance the static really builds up and causes quite a shock...

Old 07-05-10, 06:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Ground each board? Are they nuts? I would install a plastic door handle first.

Old 07-07-10, 04:09 PM
D
Can't be that hard to ground each board. I'm not sure how effective that will be though. Just run a bare copper wire along the underside with a screw into each board. Then attach it to the ground.

Old 07-07-10, 04:20 PM
If it were a groundable material it wouldn't accumulate static charge to begin with?
Something needs to be a conductor to be effectively grounded.

I was going to suggest putting armor-all on it but that's probably a stupid idea so I won't. Yeah in fact pretend that I didn't. I'm just saying that there has to be some kind of even temporary coating that will cut down the transfer of chrged particles, seeing as even something as simple as water will.