Deck Bench Brackets

Old 07-22-10, 06:39 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Bench Brackets

Curious what people here think about the bench brackets that are out there on the market. Currently looking at two brackets. 1st is from an outfit in Canada that is made out of steel flat bar and square tubing, and does not require a wooden upright for the backs:
http://www.artisticironworks.com/images/bench_t6.gif

The 2nd is from Rockler and is made of composit resin, yet it requires a 2x4 vertical for the seat back:
Bench Brackets for Deck or Dock - Rockler Woodworking Tools

The deck bench I am looking at is roughly 13' long.

Old 07-22-10, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just remember once you install the benches, your handrails must be raised to between 34 and 38" high from the seat. You have created a new "floor" and your local code people may make you extend the height.

Old 07-23-10, 04:24 AM
H
Funny

I ran it by code guy and he said no problem since the deck is already quite low to the ground. That being said, my brother in law has this type of seating on his above ground deck, and at one point, the deck is 14' in the air, then the bench seats. I watched his 4 year old son lean up on the seat back and look down. it gave me chills!

Old 07-27-10, 05:49 AM
H
Go Figure

So, I searched and searched the net and found some nice steel brackets from a source in Canada. Unfortunately, they are only open for orders (via phone), during normal working hours. I look them up last week and find the site is down. So, I bit the bullet and bought the composite brackets that use the 2x4 back supports. They will be hidden, so who cares.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: