Advice on raising/laying paver patio

Old 07-29-10, 09:37 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on raising/laying paver patio

I pulled up my old patio that was made out of 12 x 12 pavers and want to raise it in order to stop it from flooding when it rains.

I pulled them up, put a wood frame around the outside that is about 1 inch above surrounding grass line, laid weed barrier down, added some sand.....and then found out that I need to compact the dirt beneath it all. So what are my options and is there a quick fix? I have a lawn roller, can I just go over what is there with it to compact the dirt down some? I really do not want to rent a compacter or pull all of what I have done so far up. Or is another option filing it up a little higher than normal with sand and then going over it with the lawn roller after the pavers are in? I do not mind if it sinks down some but I do not want it all uneven because of it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 07-30-10, 10:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I've never put one in myself but I think you only want about an inch of sand over a compacted base. Assuming that to be correct, you would need to pull out the sand and add more compactible base material in. I don't think a lawn roller would do the job compacting it but I could be wrong. Hand tampers are pretty cheap but there's a limit how thick a layer you can compact with them, so it might take more steps than a rented compactor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: