Hang porch swing: Rafter strong enough?

Old 07-29-10, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hang porch swing: Rafter strong enough?

I know there were other questions about this, but I have a slightly different question. I need to know if the rafter can support the weight, and how to deal with the fact that since this is a vinyl soffit type roof with a drop the distance of the 2x4 that it is nailed to, how do I properly bridge that gap?

My porch is about 5 feet from the front of the house to the end of the porch. The end of the porch roof is supported by 2x8 or 2x10s doubled up and laid on posts. No problem there. The angled roof has the same type beams that butt up against the house. So it is an 'A' frame with about a 30 degree angle. Now the actual trusses that are horizontal to the porch were I would mount the swing, are just toe nailed into the house. So my first concern is if that is sound. I had expected these beams to be an extension out from the floor above or to have joist hangers. It looks ok, but then I am wanting to hang 2 people sitting in a swing from it. So the beam is about 5ft long, safe at one end, but I'm not sure about the other.

Next, these joists run out from the house to the beam that sits on the colums. To nail up the vinyl, they used 2 2x4s that run perpendicular to the joists. So I can't just screw through the vinyl roof soffit material because there is now a 1.5" space (the width of the 2x4) between the vinyl and the bottom of the joist. How do I bridge this gap? I thought of bolting a 2x4 to the bottom of the joist, but then am not sure of the safety of that since now my screw eye would be mostly going through the 2x4 and then partially into the 2x8. I thought of spanning a flat 2x8 between 2 joists bolted at each end and then screwing into that, but again, I am not sure if that is sound. Any ideas? Thanks!

Fred

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-10, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More info

Correction to my previous post. The rafters look like 2x6s and they ARE mounted a little sturdier than I thought with notches resting on a facing board on the toenaild side. I will guess the support is good, but need advice about how to mount a 2 inch board beneach the rafter to bridge the space between the rafter and where the vinyl sits. Do I bolt a 2x4 to the underside of the rafter and then drill a pilot hole and put the eye hook into the bottom piece and the last little bit through the rafter? Thanks