Can beam be (2)10'- 2x10s or must be (1)-20'-2x10

Old 07-30-10, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can beam be (2)10'- 2x10s or must be (1)-20'-2x10

Hello, I am looking to build a deck that will support a hot tub. My main question is in purchasing lumber for the beams. I am going to run beams spaced 4' apart starting at the ledger and extending out 12' from the house. I am going to use double 2x10s for the beams. The beams will span 20' from side to side (the width of the deck) and I am going to support the beams on posts that are 6x6s spaced 3 1/2 feet apart each. I am pretty comfortable that I have enough beef built in to support the tub (plus the 2x10 joists spaced 12' o.c.) - but my question is.......it is a chore to find 20' 2x10s to build the beam with. Since I will have a center post in the middle of each beam run (side to side) can I use 2 sets of double 2x10's that measure 10 feet each, and butt them up on the top of the center post? Or will this weaken the structural integrity of the beam. Do I need to chase down the 20 foot 2x10s to make an uninterrupted beam? I am almost willing to mount 2 6x6 posts right next to eachother on the center footing in order to have the 10 foot 2x10s each have a dedicated post to rest on. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-10, 09:32 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I thought hot tubs had their own support & the deck gets built around it.

Old 07-30-10, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd use the 10 footers and put reinforcement across the joint where they rest on the post. Either something of metal from Simpson...or even some 3' foot or so sections of 2 x 10 bolted through the 10 footers.

Old 07-30-10, 11:28 AM
will do- thanks.

So to be sure- this means I do not need a dedicated 6x6 post for each end, but rather can butt the double 2x10s up with each bean resting on half of the post and meeting in the middle (with simpson ties or better).

Correct?

Thanks again

Old 07-30-10, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well..no expert...but I would think you will get plenty of support. Heck..joist hangers only support about an inch and a half...you'll be supporting about 2 1/2" of the end of the 2x10.

The funny thing about hot tubs is they distribute their weight pretty well. A 250lb person probably puts more weight in a smaller area than a hot tub. If you have decided on the tub you want, I'd find out the footprint of the actual bearing surface (normally the floor of the center area) and beef up that area specifically if you feel the urge.