choicedek with tigerclaw fastener questions

Old 08-10-10, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
choicedek with tigerclaw fastener questions

I'm planning a redeck for this weekend using choicedek with the tigerclaw hidden fasteners. The tiger claw fasteners specified for use with the choicedek require a groove in the side of the board, but my choicedek boards have no grooves. No problem - I can make a groove, right? Tiger claw even makes a router bit designed for this purpose. There is but one snag...

I don't have a router. I'm trying to borrow one, but we know how those things can go. I've thought about setting up my table saw to rip a slot. The slot needs to be 5/32 inch deep. I cut a test piece last night and the slot ends up being 1/8 inch with my curretn blade - I'm thinking that's probably close enough, but I can always change the rip fence and redo it if necessary.

I'm not a thoroughly experienced woodworker or carpenter so my experience with a table saw is limited. How well will ripping a groove in the side of a 16 foot long board work?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-10, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
With the proper setup, this is do-able

Is the groove supposed to be in the center of the board? If so, flipping the board and running it through the saw again so that one pass cuts to one edge and the second pass to the other edge would work

That said, does a buddy have a router (especially with a table) you can use?

Old 08-10-10, 11:09 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Saw

Using a table saw will require a substantial out feed table to keep the board level while running it through the saw.

Old 08-10-10, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Using a table saw will require a substantial out feed table to keep the board level while running it through the saw.
AGREED.

Your best bet is using a router. I am not sure how much decking you will be grooving but it may be worth purchasing your own router. Good luck.

Old 08-10-10, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Buy a router, build a "u" shaped foot that attaches to your router base and fits over the ends of the boards. Setting the depth to what you want, and running the router, it will make easy work of it. It will keep your router from tilting and the groove will be uniformly in the center.
Another avenue would be finding a slot cutter for the router that meets your size requirements, install it at the proper height, install a stop on each board to run the router against and cut the slot that way.

Old 08-11-10, 11:30 AM
The bottom of the groove needs to be 13/32" from the bottom of the 5/4 board. The groove itself needs to be 5/32 high and 7/16 deep.

I did some further research and talked to someone at the tiger claw tech support center yesterday and figured out there are two options I can use.
1. The TC3S - a hammer in fastener which does not require grooves.
2. The TC-G which requires the groove.

I've already bought the TC-3S, but I'm considering returning them and buying the TC-G since it looks like I've got the router lined up to borrow or I can use the table saw. The TC-G seems like a more elegant, less arduous, quieter process.

Thoughts and opinions are still highly sought and welcomed.