Polymeric Sand For Paver Patio

Old 08-10-10, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Polymeric Sand For Paver Patio

Does anyone have any advice or experience with polymeric sand for pavers?

I sent my wife to the pick up some paver sand and she come home with this stuff because a guy at the plant nursery recommended it... now I am waiting for a day when there isn't rain in the forcast.

Is this stuff really worth it? It seems like all it does is slow down weed growth... is there something else to it? I am pretty comfortable with weed killers and a weed wacker, so to me the weed benefits aren't a big deal.

I am worried about a haze and residue left if it isn't perfectly blown off before water gets to it. Acording to what I read on the web, it's real hard to blow off all the dust before adding the water.. so haze seems like its going to happen...

any suggestions? advice?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-10, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
I LOVE IT! I will never go back to plain sand.

I basically followed the directions. Broomed it over the stones and into the cracks. Then I used a hand tamper to vibrate and settle it in the cracks and repeated until it (the polymeric sand) no longer settled into the cracks. Then I gave it several good sweepings with the push broom to remove most of the sand from the surface but there was still some fine dust left behind.

My first watering was slightly heavier than recommended. I used a fine mist but I sprayed across the stones to wash the dust into the cracks to clean the block's surface. I used just enough water to wash off the top of the blocks and into the cracks, not so much that water was pooling or trying to run off the walkway. Then I used the light watering recommended in the instructions. When it dried there was no haze or sheen on top of the stones. A year later the walkway still looks new.

Old 08-11-10, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The directions says that the pavers should be completely clean before applying the polymeric sand.

My pavers has some residue from where I mad cuts around the perimeter and some other misc. dirt/residue from the manufacturer. Do I need to clean the pavers before using the sand?

Old 08-12-10, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
You do not want mud on the stones but general construction dirt/dust should not be a problem. After the stones were set I went over the area with a push broom to remove the bulk of the dirt. There were some minor white powder marks on the cut stones but I did nothing with them other than the brooming. Then the several passes with the polymeric & brooming it in cleaned up much of what was stuck to the stones. The first, light rinsing with water got rid of the rest.

If you are worried about the cut residue on your stones I would get all the stones for your project set. Broom clean the area and then give it a good hosing. Spraying the water on the cut stones to remove the cutting dust. Then let the area dry at least overnight and then start the polymeric sand process.