Covered Patio - At grade

Old 08-16-10, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covered Patio - At grade

G'day all,

Find myself needing some advice... Looking at a property right now, trying to budget in one thing that needs to be addressed... It's an old 1910 colonial 2 storey house; problem is - multiple additions / renos / entrances = 7 bits of roof around the front that don't match.

Our thought was build a wrap-around deck to tie everything in (and a little seasonal outside space), semi-enclose it so it becomes a mudroom/etc depending on the season.

Temptation is to just do a slab on grade with pillings for the roof support - but that'd mean the floor would be forever cold...

Secondary thought was to excavate out a foot - build a 'typical' deck with a solid floor and some rocksol or similar under to keep some heat in... But then what to do about the rest of the grading - I have an issue with wood being in contact with dirt, especially when it's now below grade... Grading out the whole front slope to accomodate the deck seems a bit extreme...

There's probably an easy answer I'm not thinking of - anyone able to enlighten me?

Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-10, 06:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Neither plan will work. In your area, 4 foot deep footings are needed for whatever you build. Then you can do whatever you want on top of them. It's probably code there as well. Permits may be needed. Check before you start.