Gap in new porch posts.

Old 08-21-10, 09:50 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gap in new porch posts.

Just replaced back porch columns with treated 6x6s on pavers. I'd like to attach a picture of the problem, but I don't have that permission.

The concrete slab of the back porch slopes obviously for run-off. I underestimated the forward slope of the porch slab in cutting the base of the 6x6, and therefore the front paver is loose. How best to secure it? Construction adhesive then caulk....shims...?

The 6x6 and aft paver are solid.

Thank you.

--Bryant

Old 08-21-10, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
A picture is worth 1,000 words. You have to upload your picture to a hosting site like photobucket.

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 08-21-10, 12:06 PM
A
Posted pictures.

Thanks, Tolyn Ironhand.

http://s760.photobucket.com/albums/x...PORCH%20POSTS/

Last edited by ArmyAviator; 08-21-10 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Adjusted link
Old 08-21-10, 12:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Where's the link?

Old 08-21-10, 12:24 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Columns

It looks like the bottom of the columns will not be secure.

Old 08-21-10, 12:30 PM
A
marksr, the link is clearly on my last immediately below yours...?

wirepuller, the posts are in there, tight as skin on a catfish, at least at the aft paver. And at the top, equally tight; I mean they're not moving. That front paver is not totally "free", but it can be bumped out of place. I'd just like recommendations on how best to secure that front paver. ??

Frustrating, I know.

Old 08-21-10, 12:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The link didn't show up earlier but does now

I think you need to loose the pavers and have a better method to secure the posts, were the posts not long enough?

Old 08-21-10, 12:46 PM
A
Hi, Mark...no the posts were plenty long. I stood them on the concrete floor of the porch, marked, squared and cut. A nice tight fit that was appropriately forced into position, with the posts riding on the pavers as I did so. But when in position, the slope of the front edge of the porch floor caused the front paver to be a bit loose.

My inexperienced thoughts are to shim it tightly with metal shims (prevent rot as with wood shims?) and then caulk the base.

Old 08-21-10, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You want a mechancial method to attach the post to the slab. You don't want just gravity to hold the bottom inplace. It needs brackets of some type screwed into both the post and the slab. You wouldn't want something to hit the bottom of the post and moving it out of position

Old 08-21-10, 01:35 PM
A
Mark, thanks. The posts are not load bearing in any capacity. The previous posts were decorative prefab wood on 5x5 metal cleat bases; then toenailed on top with finishing nails. It'd take a dang hard blow to knock these 6x6s out of place.

My easiest thought is to just bond them to the slab with a premium adhesive and let them live peacefully.

More wild creative thinking is that I can metalsmith; and I just might try to slide some thin handmade steel shims; but it's tight (>1/16"). If the paver busts from pushing the shims in, I can replace the front two and try something else.

Or!!! I could sell the house!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: