Painting stairs and vinyl railing in front of home

Old 08-23-10, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Painting stairs and vinyl railing in front of home

I think I've made a HUGE mistake! I hired a painter to come paint the steps leading up to our home. They are cement (surface number 1) I also hired him to paint our vinyl railing (surface number 2) leading up the stairs and the trim around our door (synthetic "wood" can't remember what it's called. It's like our hardyboard siding) surface number 3)

Why paint a vinyl railing that should have never been painted? Good question. When our home was built, the painters for some UNKNOWN reason painted the vinyl rails. We did not notice until they started to discolor and peel. So, now we have to have it re done.

I told the painter that I would take the paint list from the builder and go get the paints. He said not to worry about it, he knew what to get. IDIOT me, I trusted him and now think I'm in a bad spot. He used Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat white paint. He used that on ALL THREE SURFACES. The exterior trim....that's the right paint but for CEMENT AND VINYL????? I think I'm screwed and need to know how to fix this. The Matte/Flat finish just does not seem right for CEMENT or vinyl. The paint people at Home Depot recommend a Polycrylic top clear coat on the stairs and railings to extend the life of the paint.

It's too late for him to paint the cement with cement stain, and the vinyl with some type of paint that has a gloss to it so it's easier to clean right??? HELP, this needs to be fixed ASAP before I have nasty shoe prints and hand marks all over my rails and stairs.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-10, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Hopefully you've not paid the painter yet, was there any type of contract?

Latex house paint is correct for the siding/door trim and the vinyl but it would have been better to use a satin [or higher gloss] There shouldn't be any issues with painting over the flat.

What did the concrete originally have for a coating? I agree a concrete stain would have been best but stain should only be used over stain or unpainted concrete. Assuming the flat latex house paint was compatible over the previous finish, you can top coat it with a latex porch and deck enamel.