Deck stain too orange - options

Old 08-31-10, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck stain too orange - options

Hello,

I stained my deck (2 coats) with sherwin williams desckscapes semi transparent waterborne stain. The color did not turn out the way we expected. We used the cedar color but it is way too orange. I am pissed but nobody to blame but me. I picked the stain, even tried it on a piece before applying and it looked good. I guess at the larger scale the orange hue is very visible.

Do I have any option to darken it a bit or is it a matter or restarting the whole process from scratch? Any sense if the color might fade a bit after a few weeks?

Thx,

Yves

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-10, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you don't mention if its conc or wood,,, most stains will ' age ' gracefully but i don't know that product,,, you can bet a clear sealer for the stain & tint w/color of your choice - 877 tints from sher-wms as i recall for wtr-based,,, good luck !

Old 09-01-10, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the waterborne deckscapes has a limited recoat window [2hrs if I remember correctly] In order to apply another coat you'll have to remove the majority of the fresh stain..... or wait a few years for it to weather before you can coat over it.

Deck stains are formulated to be used without a sealer. The water repelling properties are formulated into the stain.

Old 09-01-10, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
I haven't seen the deck and regardless, I'm not the one who has to live with it

That said, unless it's really horrible, I'd let it go for now and put something else on in the spring