Patio Pavers and Arizona soil.....

Old 09-05-10, 02:43 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Pavers and Arizona soil.....

I am building a paver patio off of my pool deck that is roughly 150sqft. I found the pavers I want and have dug out the whole area where they will go but I am getting mixed info on whether or not I have to add compacted rock down. AZ soil is already very rocky and hard pack and I'm just not sure i can dig out another 3 or 4 inches in this ground if I need to lay the rock down first. I can dig it out but 110 degree weather is putting a hurting on me. So with that said can I get away with laying the concrete sand down, leveling it out so it drains away from the house and then throw the pavers down?

Old 09-05-10, 06:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How is the drainage there now? If the water drains quickly, you can probably just add the sand.

Old 09-05-10, 09:50 PM
If you are laying down real concrete interlocking pavers (not over 10" in any direction) you only need a 1" sand setting bed, the base below must be non-expansive and not subject to poor drainage.

Go to the icpi site (icpi.org?) for many installation topics.

Dick

Old 09-06-10, 07:54 PM
F
Pulpo: Drainage where the patio will be is good and drains off decent. After digging out the area as well I made sure it is sloped properly so it would drain away from the house and not build up in any area.

Concrete Masonary: I actually laid the pavers today and have to finish off tomorrow. As for interlocking pavers are they in regards to the smaller ones that go to together to form a design? The stones I am using are actually 15" a piece. I was going to go with a smaller design but these fit the yard and bill perfect. The area is roughly 12'x7'. I used about 1.5" of the sand to get the base in a few areas but overall I would say 1" is the norm. I'm hoping everything went good, if not then the only cost I am really out is the sand as the stones can just get re-done but I think I should be ok.

I forgot to ask but when you do the pavers, since these are 15"x15" should I run them side by side the whole way or should I center one paver where two meet like forming a T so the lines are offset?

Old 09-07-10, 05:07 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Forming a T could mean alot of cutting. It's up to you.

Old 09-07-10, 10:46 PM
F
Decided against forming the T, its all down now, just have to finish up the landscape around it. Lifting over 2000lbs in one day really puts a hurting on ya. So far I am pleased with the outcome and glad I decided to it myself.

Old 09-08-10, 06:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yeah, it feels good to do something like this yourself but one day of work like this reminds me how happy I am I did not choose to be a professional landscaper

Old 09-09-10, 12:03 AM
F
If I decide to do anything like this again it will not be Summer time in AZ. I would start early when it was about 85-90 degress but by the time I really started to get moving the temps would jump up to 110 with the sun dead on me. My body is still in recovery as i used more muscles in my body then I ever have before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: