Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Do I need to strip an oil toner before applying deck stain on a cedar deck?

Old 09-07-10, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

DeckScapes Cedar Oil Toner was applied about 2 years ago to my cedar deck. It's starting to wash off pretty good on the foot traffic areas. Now I'm in the planning stages of staining the deck. I thought I've read I could just apply a good oil based stain (keep reading Cabots is best?). Is it necessary to use any chemical cleaners/strippers? Hoping to just give it a light pressure wash and apply the new stain.

PS - if anyone has any good recommendations for a cedar stain I'd love to hear. would love a semi-transparent with protection of a solid

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-10, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dumb question?

I've had a couple people say I could just stain over it at this point, so I think I'll give that a try and see how long it lasts. If it doesn't work out good, I'll do the grueling proper method next time.

Old 09-09-10, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The way stain works, is to soak into the pores of the wood. Any residual oil or paint or sealer is going to block the pores, giving you a so so finish at best and a disaster at worst.

Clean the wood and try to open up the pores so they will take the stain.

Old 09-09-10, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
Yep, I'd try to get the old stuff off

Cabot, Sikkens and Benjamin Moore all get recommended frequently here

Old 09-09-10, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
If it is oil based deckscapes - it can be coated over, if it's the waterborne version - it has to be stripped if it isn't well weathered.

While it might be ideal to remove all the old stain before applying the new - that usually isn't too practical. As long as all the degraded stain is removed, it should be ok to use a semi-transparent stain over what's left of the existing stain.

I'd spray a bleach/water solution along with TSP on the deck, let it set but not dry and then rinse with a pressure washer. Let it dry well before applying the new stain.