Free Standing Deck

Old 09-09-10, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Free Standing Deck

I need to build a 20' x 20' a free standing deck in which the beams are parallel to the house and must have a 20' span between the left and right posts. Can anyone suggest what kind of beam I would need to do this to keep arcking to a minimum with either steel or wood. I would prefer to do it in wood, if possible. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-10, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your beam will be supported in more than two places, alleviating the possibility of it arcing or bending as you indicate. One of our pros posted a really good document you should read and check out the sections on post and beams, as well as free standing requirements. I'll take the liberty to post it for you to use. I'll ask for forgiveness later. http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Old 09-09-10, 06:18 PM
Chandler, how can one ask for forgiveness for spreading knowledge, and even better extensive and free? Thank you for steering me in the right direction. I'm going to have plenty of reading material to keep me busy for a while. After I digest this buffet I'll see if I still have questions. Thanks.

Old 09-09-10, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It was Gary's thunder, and I stole it. But as long as you use the information and ask us questions, I think all is well.

Old 09-14-10, 10:01 PM
Gabriel B.,

20' X 20' freestanding is fine, but your not going to do it with wood using only 4 posts!!

Various sizes of beams are available, but keep them within the span limits. Various sizes of joists could be used, but keep them within their span limits. And freestanding -- I prefer to use smaller beams and joists and put in more footings. Makes the deck more stable.