Patio Roof Post Attachment

Old 09-15-10, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Roof Post Attachment

When installing posts for a patio roof, I have seen that the preferred method is to form concrete with a J bolt in the center, then a metal base is secured to the bolt. A 4x4 can then be screwed to the base.

My question or doubt is, leaving the base of the posts at ground level (not burying the posts into the ground) would leave open the possibility of the structure swaying side to side? The structure should not move back and forth, because the header and rafters are attached to the 2x6 ledger on the house. But what prevents the side to side movement? I was originally thinking about burying them in-ground in concrete, like they do for fencing, but everything Iíve read says not to, because of rot.

The patio roof we are building will be attached to the house on a 2x6 ledger, and come out 10 ft from side of house. It will span 12ft across.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-10, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You may need either lag or carriage bolted diagonal supports or a wide 2X at the outer edge in a vertical orientation attached to the rafters (like the header). Can't remember the correct name, sorry. Also..don't forget the plywood on the roof deck will prevent most side to side movement

Old 09-16-10, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't use post bases that are 'surface attached'. Use one's that are EMBEDDED in the concrete (PBS, CBSQ or similar).

Diagonal bracing from post to beam and roof sheathing will eliminate all of the other possible side-to-side movement