Staining wood deck a solid stain after sanding old deck "paint"

Old 09-26-10, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining wood deck a solid stain after sanding old deck "paint"

Every year I power wash a wood deck built in 1998 with Behr's deck paint. I use the same paint and color each year. This year, a new person was at Home Depot's paint dept. and mixed the paint in a can named deck paint as always and he obviously put paint in this can that was not for a deck. Just hosing off a gas grill a few times made the paint begin to peel.

11 years of paint was on this deck. It still looked good after the furniture, plants, outdoor rugs, landscaping all around it, etc. I knew I was getting close to having to remove the paint or the deck. I have this home corporate leased. I went back home and received a call from the mgr. who is in charge of this lease for the company leasing it stating to me she received a complaint the home's deck was in no condition to take clients there and have outdoor functions. I've used paint remover recommended by Home Depot 3 separate times now. The 1st time it took off the wrong paint given me and used and some of the paint under it. The 2nd & 3rd times some of the wood became exposed and after power washing it with a high power washer, half is wood exposed that still looks fine (don't know what wood it is) the other half has different layers of old paint on it. I'm buying a heavy duty variable speed sander today and getting someone to sand the old paint off, being careful with the nails, etc. Then what? What do I need to do to make this deck beautiful since the wood (so far) still looks good? Meaning, do I seal it first, then stain it with a solid color, then seal that? Is there something else I should do. There was so much paint everywhere, I had the entire area relandscaped with crushed granite and powerwashed the paint into the mulch with the crushed granite on top. This looks good and I'm going to go for a more natural look with stain. Any ideas, suggestions, help is appreciated. Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-10, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
"and mixed the paint in a can named deck paint as always and he obviously put paint in this can that was not for a deck"

I doubt that happened. When paint/stain is tinted, it's not taken out of the can. They add a set amount of colorant to the paint and then close the lid tightly and put it on the shaker.

It's hard to say what would be the best type of coating to use until you get the deck ready for stain. A solid stain will hide a lot of defects and/or variances in the wood. A translucent or toner stain needs to have wood that is fairly consistent in grain and color, a semi-transparent stain is somewhere in the middle.

Deck stains don't need a sealer! They are formulated to both color and seal the wood. Generally you'll find the better quality stains at your local paint store. They also usually have better trained help than a paint dept.

Old 09-27-10, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Respect

I'm not taking the time to find out how to block answers from specific people but your "I doubt that happened" with nothing else leaves me feeling you are calling me a liar. Please never respond to any questions I have. Thank you.

Old 09-27-10, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Not having Mark respond to your posts will result in more struggle and less success with painting projects - he knows more about this than anyone else I've ever met

Settle down and get over it - he's probably right anyway but not calling you a liar, just saying you probably don't understand what actually happened

Old 09-27-10, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thats not what mark said...he was not calling you anything. You assumed that the paint was the problem and that the sales person "put the wrong paint in the can"...but if it's the same type you've always used..then blame the manufacturer for possibly changing the formula. The person at HD DOES NOT put paint in the can...he puts tint in the can to your spec.

If you read the rest of his advise some of your questions will be answered.

Old 09-27-10, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Wow, there was never an intent to call someone a liar but rather to point out that you were misinformed. Nobody at any paint store takes paint out or puts paint into a can/bucket. All the paint store does is to tint [if used] and shake the container so the paint is ready for the customer to use.

Not sure how I could have answered the questions any better with the info supplied