Porch Swing

Old 10-03-10, 05:55 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Porch Swing

Just installed a porch swing. I did so by attaching a 8 foot 2 X 4 parrallel to where I wanted the swing to four joists (most likely 2X4s 24 inches on center) in my porch ceiling which ran perpendicular to where I wanted it. I used 5/16 by 3.5" lags. Unfortunately the nut on one of the eyebolt I was using to hang the swing was keeping the supporting 2X4 from laying flat against the ceiling. It seemed secure, and may have been fine, but it seemed like it was swaying a bit and I thought it would cause a problem long term.

So I took the supporting 2X4 down, widened the holes so they were big enough for the nuts so that the supporting 2X4 would lay flat, and then refastened through the same holes with larger 3/8 by 4" lags. When I rachetted them in, two really complained (creaked) but did not break. They are all the way in but is there anything to be concerned about?

Old 10-06-10, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
My mind picture shows you used a 2x4 as a bridge across your joisting to hang the swing. Often you will need to countersink the washer and nut (you did use a big washer under your nut, right?) in order to make the board flush to the above surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: