porch post footer problem.

Old 10-19-10, 09:38 AM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
porch post footer problem.

hi folks.

I donít know anything about building construction. But it looks like these 2 posts on my front porch support a lot of weight. The concrete footer in the picture has cracked all the way through. Is there some way I could correct this? This does not look like a good situation to me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-10, 06:17 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the post stop at the footer or does it go straight to the patio? Either way, it's not up to code but it's easy to fix. Install 3 temporary posts for support, one between the corner post & the house, one between the 2 current posts & the third between the house & the middle post. Leave enough room to work. Chop the broken cement & remove the original posts. Dig holes for each post where the fake footings were, to the frost line. It's probably 4 feet in your area. Install sono tubes so they rise about an inch above the patio. Fill them with cement. Before the cement sets, install a post bracket or threaded stud, so that a bracket can be added later. Let it set over night. Install the new posts the next day & remove the temporary posts.

Old 10-28-10, 01:25 PM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
gotcha Pulpo! thanks. More work than I was hoping for (just the digging). Had to check out sonotubes. I understand what they are now. No the posts donít go all the way through but stop at the footer. I think the frost line is just about 40 inches here. So itís looks like a little bit of work. It does seem pretty straight forward and there is time to do it before the ground freezes.

so thanks again!