how to install corner rail posts?

Old 11-14-10, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to install corner rail posts?

Local code requires that ALL rail posts be attached to the OUTSIDE of rim and band joists with through bolts, and blocking or other hardware on the other other side (no notching). This may see like a dumb question, but, installation of the interior posts seems pretty easy, bolt them on, but how the heck do you attach the corner post to the outside band/rim, where two sides of the deck meet at a 90-deg angle? Or do you have to install two rail posts at the corneres, each say, 6 in from the corner? If so, how do you install rail "around" the corner? Pictures or diagrams would be helpful, I just can't figure out what this would look like. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-10, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What part of NC are you located in? I do work in NC some, and have never heard of having to mount rail posts on the outside. Most often we are allowed to notch them under and over the rim and bolt them through twice. Corners are double notched and bolted two ways. This transfers all your weight from above the deck to the footing. Are you running your vertical support through to your railings, or are the railings separate?

Old 11-14-10, 06:53 PM
from The Official City of Raleigh Portal :

page 13, and Appendix M, 2009 IBC, page 15: "4x4 post, typical DO NOT NOTCH"

From everything I've found via numerous jurisdictions codes, notching the railing posts is a strict no-no now. Makes sense, doesn't matter how many bolts you use, a notched 4x4 can in no way resist the 200 lb test load, and this railing is sure to be tested by drunk college kids. However, the outside requirement makes attachement of the railing and baluster hardware a challenge at the corners. FYI, the no-notch code change coincided with the release of the SST DTT2Z Deck Tension Tie....

You can mount the posts inside, but only on the outside joist. Rim joist post must be mounted outside only, if my intpretation of code is correct.

Old 11-15-10, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You are correct. 4x4 post are never notched. We never use 4x4's, so that is why I was questioning it. 4x should be bolted directly to the rim. Now whether or not they need to be on the outside or inside of the rim still is an active question. If outside, then, yes, you would have to install two almost adjacent to each other. I'd get clarification on that as well. Mounting some inside and some outside doesn't make sense. We work in a different part (Clay and Cherokee Counties) so the codes are different, I guess.

Old 11-20-10, 04:19 PM
I take a 4x4 block and place it inside the rim corner then place my 4x4 posts flush with the deck outside corner (don't come in 6") and bolt through the post, through the rim and through the block. When you do this with two posts, the bolts really pull it together and strengthen the corner. Use a 2x6 as a rail cap with a 2x4 beneath to attach your ballisters. I have even lagged a third 4x4 into the corner that the other 4x4s made. Sorry no pics.