exterior door

Old 02-08-11, 04:13 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior door

Can you prime an exterior wood door before you "stain" it? This door is very old and beat up and I cannot get it smooth to apply a nice stain on it so I thought I would prime it first then apply stain. I can then do a woodgrain finish on it using two different stain colors.

Thanks

Old 02-08-11, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What are you planning on "priming" it with? You can't use a paint type primer as it will turn the door slightly white. Then you would have to paint it. There are sealers you can apply, but they will restrict the amount of stain the door will take. What type wood is the door made from?

Old 02-09-11, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
You could prime the door and do a faux finish on it but I wouldn't recommend that for an exterior door unless it's well protected from the elements.

IMO if the door's condition is too rough for stain/poly you are better off patching any rough spots, priming and then painting it.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 02-16-11, 02:25 PM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
If the doors in that bad a shape replace it. Trying to micky mouse it will look bad.
There is no primer for stain and adding more layers of anything will not make it look any better.

Old 02-16-11, 02:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
As Mark said, this would probably not hold up to the elements well but you could fill the holes on the door, prime it and then create a wood grain look with a couple different paint colors

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: