cutting angles on deck caprail

Old 12-26-00, 02:30 PM
Visiting Guest

I have built a deck for my back porch, turned out great, but didn't add a caprail.(2 x 6 flat)

NOW I want to add a 2 x 6 caprail on my front deck.
I know how to miter my 45* angles for the one corner, however where my stairs start going down, how in the world do I figure how much to cut....and how to figure where my cap going down the stairs meets my butt end of the other level one (please be patient, only wish I could draw you a pic, but I think you will understand)

The board end I will be tying into with the board going down the stairs is a butt (flat) end.

If someone can figure out the angle...I can give height,diagonal measuremments,etc.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have surfed a million miles (true) trying to figure this out.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-00, 04:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not a carpenter, but in lieu of the math or the proper angle-finding tools, I would just tack a scrap piece of 2X6 about half way down under the rail going down, lay the top end of the down rail over the flat butt end you're trying to meet, use a torpedo level and mark it plumb with the butt end, and cut it at that angle.
Should give you the match-up angle.
Save the end you cut off of the top of the down rail, and use it mark the bottom angle end of the down rail.
May not make sense to a pro, but it works for me. If I make things any more complicated than that, I screw up every time. LOL.
Good Luck!

Old 12-26-00, 05:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Lotsa hugs :)))))))

Oh thank you!!!!! Made sense to me! Thanks

((((((((OldGuy)))))))))

Old 12-28-00, 03:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Guy is right. Each of these angles on every deck is different. These angles are marked and cut to fit. Good Luck

Old 12-30-00, 09:17 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
If you have your steps biult and your rail post set plumb,
All you need to do is lay your hand rail on the steps next to the post.. Now mark the side of the rail next to the post. that is the angle the hand rail should be. before you move the hand rail away mark the top af you post using the hight of the top post, go from the hand rail at eanch post the same hight, Now set you bevel square on the post the blade on the rail and that is the angle you need to cut the top of the post . GOOD LUCK