Deck questions

Old 03-04-11, 12:17 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck questions

Hi,

I have a wooden deck that is currently painted, by the previous owners. I want to power wash the paint off and stain. Do I need to completely remove all of the paint or only the loose parts? Since it is outside and under the Texas sun I am anticipating that some will come up easily and others not.

Secondly, do I need to sand prior to staining?

Thanks, in advance!

Old 03-04-11, 02:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of stain are you intending to use?
A solid stain can be used over some existing paint. A semi-transparent stain would need 99% of the paint removed. I doubt you could get an old deck in good enough condition for a translucent or toner stain to look good.

I rarely do any sanding on decks. Be careful with the pressure washer, too much pressure [or tip too close] can chew up the wood - then you'd have to sand

Old 03-06-11, 03:42 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, I rented a power washer. After a couple hours of working the paint did not come off. Apparently the previous owners did a good job of applying or maybe the Texas sun baked it on. So, instead of staining I now will be repainting!

Old 03-07-11, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The sun helps to deteriorate the coating and while a bad prep job or improper application can shorten the life, the quality of the coating used is most likely the reason it's still on there.

Often latex coatings can be removed with a pressure washer but oil base coatings that are still in good shape won't normally be removed with pressure washing. Does the current coating have any sheen? Do you know what type of wood is on the deck?

http://forum.doityourself.com/painti...latex-oil.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: