How to make upper deck waterproof so that lower deck will be waterproof

Old 03-19-11, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How to make upper deck waterproof so that lower deck will be waterproof

We have an upperdeck approximately 18' x 15' that we want to make waterproof so that we can place a vinyl ceiling on the lower deck to make it look better and to prevent birds from building nests under the upper deck. We've looked at something called Lock Tight, but that seems very expensive and will require taking up the current deck boards on the upper deck. Does anyone know of any type of waterproof sheets that are thin that we can place over the upperdeck to make it waterproof? We're open to all suggestions as long as they are not cost prohibitive.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-11, 04:16 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think anything exists that will make it waterproof.

Old 03-19-11, 05:45 PM
Unhappy That's disappointing

Thanks for your reply, but that's disappointing. Have you heard about duradek or deckmaster by Ducan? I just found something on the Web about these products, but there doesn't seem to be a dealer or installer in my area.

Old 03-19-11, 06:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I did one a few summers ago. My expertise in the matter was not used, as I have none. I provided the labor. We build the deck frame and decked it with Advantech. He used a polymer resin stuff, rolled it on and embedded what appeared to be something akin to fiberglas. He did this in several layers. The "kit" or manufacturer sent a final coat which was "walkable" and had gravel like particles embedded in it for traction. We did this for this main 16 x 40 deck, and two smaller decks on the 3 floor that were actually roofs for rooms under them. Been a couple of years and no leaks in any of the rooms, nor in the under deck.

Old 03-19-11, 08:35 PM
Thanks

Thanks, I'll check out Advantech

Old 03-19-11, 09:46 PM
A couple of other systems that you might look into are Under Deck and Dri-B-Low.

Old 03-20-11, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What Mike said if you want to keep your deck as a "deck". Advantech is just 3/4" standard subflooring. It didn't have anything to do with the waterproofing. The under deck drainage systems work if installed properly. The main problem I have seen in them is the lack of pitch in 12' spans. The installers try to keep as much headroom as possible and fail to provide enough pitch for the water to fully run away to the gutter system.

Old 03-20-11, 08:36 AM
Like Larry said, the whole key is installing them properly. (But that's usually the whole key to ANYTHING!)

I'm most familiar with Under Deck. It goes between the joists so it's very easy to get plenty of pitch, assuming that your joists are large enough for the distance that they span.

Old 04-01-11, 02:39 PM
Google "underdeck waterproofing" and then it's all research from there!